The society must be one of the oldest in the UK, having been founded in 1882. Despite its name, it does not just show drawings, but a wide range of paintings, mixed media items, batik, sculpture and limited edition prints (not photographs, digital prints or domestic pottery). Membership is limited to artists living within a thirty mile radius of Great St Mary's, Cambridge.
Candidates have the opportunity to join the Society during the annual Spring exhibition each April. To apply, the artist needs to submit four recent works for consideration by the selection committee. The application form and guidelines for the Spring exhibition are made availble mid January. The selection committee is presided over by the President and consists of eight ordinary members of the Society who have been members for a minimum of five years and have been regular exhibitors. Members will generally serve on the selection committee for three years.
The Spring Exhibition of 2017 will be held in the Pitt Building, Trumpington Street, Cambridge CB2 1RP
During its long history, the society has had many distinguished names on its membership list – Gwen Raverat, Cecil Beaton and Ronald Searle to name but three of them. Madame Raverat was a member for 56 years, and President for 16 years. The Society continues to provide a showcase in Cambridge for the visual arts, where amateur and professional artists can show their work together.
Further details about becoming a Member or a Friend of the Society is available via the link 'Becoming a Friend'.
|Postal||Honorary Treasurer||John Godwood
91 Mill Lane
|Honorary Secretary||Steve Ashman
16 De Freville Ave
The Drawing Society invites people to become "Friends" of the society. For a small annual fee, a friend gets the following benefits:
- An invitation to the Private View of the Spring Exhibition in the Pitt Building and the Autumn Exhibition held in the Leys School.
- A complimentary copy of the Spring Exhibition catalogue.
- An opportunity to view Exhibitions prior to formal Private Views.
- An invitation to the annual Summer Garden Party held in June.
- Attendance at talks and demonstrations held at St. Johns Church Hall, Hills Rd, Cambridge in March, October, November and December, for a small charge.
- A £10 discount on four workshops held every year in Grantchester Village Hall, Grantchester.
- An opportunity to join the Sketching Group in the Summer in various locations.
Download, fill in, and return this application form to become a Friend.